Monday, September 30, 2013

Breakfast Awesomeness

Let's just call this "Breakfast Awesomeness" cuz that's really what it should be called.  And NO I have no idea how many calories it has....and I probably don't want to know...Oh man, it was SO good. I had it for leftovers this morning and it was just as good...so here is what I made...

OVERNIGHT BAKED FRENCH TOAST


Overnight Baked French Toast
As seen on Our Best Bites

8 eggs
2 cups half and half (one pint)
1 cup milk
6 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 lb loaf of french bread {I used a loaf of old wheat bread and it was great}
softened butter for greasing baking dish (2-3 tablespoons)

Topping {I LOVED the topping and I increased the amounts a little}
6 tablespoons packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2-3 tablespoons cold butter

For Serving
melted butter
maple syrup
powdered sugar
berries
whipped cream

Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Add half and half and milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and vanilla. Set aside.

Cut bread into 1 inch chunks or into thin slices. {I didn't cut mine all up, I just layered them in the pan} Butter bottom and sides of a 9×13 baking dish. Place the bread in the dish. Whisk egg mixture then pour evenly over bread. Use a rubber spatula to very gently toss bread. Spread out evenly, cover dish, and refrigerate overnight.

Add brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl and stir to combine. Cut cold butter into very small pieces and add to bowl. Break up butter and combine mixture until crumbly. Cover and place in fridge until ready to bake.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle topping evenly over top. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until top is golden brown. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting into squares. Drizzle with melted butter and syrup, top with berries, whipped cream and a sprinkle of powdered sugar if desired.

Then I topped it with this....{and strawberries, and I bought whipped cream, but I forgot to use it so I guess I will have to make it again, DARN}

BUTTERMILK SYRUP

1/2 cup butter1/2 cup buttermilk (I used buttermilk substitute – 1 Tbs of vinegar for each 1 cup of milk)
3/4 cups sugar
1 Tbsp corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoons baking soda


Directions:

In a large saucepan (make sure it is large, this syrup will grow when you add the vanilla and soda), place the butter, buttermilk, corn syrup and sugar. Bring to a boil and let boil for about 3 minutes, stirring. remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and soda. it will foam. Now it is ready to serve. Yum Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment