Monday, December 26, 2011

Mom's Homemade Caramels

I LOVE caramels. I Love my mom's homemade caramels....This year I added a little sea salt to the top of the caramels and they were FABULOUS...




Mom's Homemade Caramels

2 C Sugar
1 C Light Karo Syrup

Combine in large stockpot {I used my big pot that I cook spaghetti in}. Bring to a boil and boil until 240 degrees {soft ball}

1/2 C. Butter
1 Can of Evaporated milk or 1 1/2 C Cream {you can use either one}

In separate bowl, microwave butter and milk/cream until warm and butter is slightly melted. {about 1-2 minutes}

Combine butter/cream mixture to sugar/Karo mixture slowly. Try to keep the sugar/Karo boiling while you add the butter/cream mixture.

Continue to Boil until 230 degrees {very soft ball}

Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 tsp baking soda.

Pour into buttered 9x13 pan. Let caramels sit for 10 minutes before sprinkling with sea salt. {I grinded my up a little so there were no large pieces of salt}



Allow caramels to cool completely {several hours/overnight}. Cut into squares and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment