Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Caramel Popcorn




I love Caramel Popcorn. It's one of my favorite treats. I wanted to make it to fill my halloween buckets with and searched online for a good recipe...I really liked the one I used. {Originally found on Allrecipes.com} I will note my changes.

1 cup butter {you can use less, about 1/2 C.}
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

5 quarts popped popcorn

  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (95 degrees C). Place popcorn in a very large bowl.
  2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring 4 minutes. {no longer!} Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla. Pour in a thin stream over popcorn, stirring to coat.{easiest to pour over and stir in a large bowl!}
  3. Place in two large shallow baking dishes and bake in preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, for 30min to 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool completely before breaking into pieces.{the longer you cook it the more crunchy it will become!}
Don't worry too much about coating all the popcorn, do the best you can before you place it in the oven, but the caramel will all be warm and melty while it's in the oven so you can coat it more evenly while you are stirring it every 15 minutes.

ps, Jen, I left the name off the picture just for you!

1 comment: